Centerpoint’s group services and supports demonstrated to be an effective approach for counseling teens. Skillful use of peer influence and group dynamics allows change to occur more quickly and sets the stage for longer-lasting progress through the development of natural adult and peer-based supports. Specialty groups are developed based on emerging needs and trends, and are offered within Centerpoint clinics and a variety of school and community sites. Centerpoint’s clinic-based outpatient (OP) and intensive outpatient (IOP) groups include:
- CHANGES (Mondays, 3:30 – 5:00): Increasing motivation-for-change and teaching new skills of decision-making and problem-solving, utilizing the Seven Challenges® model, this highly popular group also offers opportunities for learning and rehearsing additional skills, such as identifying and self-regulating emotions, effective communication skills, stress reduction and practical coping skills.
- JUST BREATHE (Tuesdays, 4:45 – 6:00): Beginner Yoga and mindfulness skills group addressing symptoms of anxiety, depression, physical & emotional dysregulation, and normative adolescent struggles.
- CAREGIVERS CIRCLE (Tuesdays, 5:15 – 6;15): Providing skills, strategies, and a community of connection and support for those in parenting and caregiving roles struggling with a young person’s substance use or mental health issues. Participants include those with teens in treatment, those whose teens have completed treatment but appreciate the continued support, and those whose teens may need help but are not yet taking advantage of counseling.
- Wellness (Thursdays, 3:30- 5:00): Participate in experiential activities and creative projects to support social connection, emotional regulation, and healthy coping. Group members also build community through a focus on activities that will support physical, social, and emotional wellness.
- Roll, Play (Mondays, 4:00 – 5:30): Supporting teens to develop social connections, problem-solve through challenges, and apply their creativity through table-top gaming.
- Skill Set (Fridays, 3:30 – 5:00): Supporting young adults and older teens as they develop skills to cope with intense moods, thoughts, emotions, and behaviors.
Centerpoint’s group counseling and treatment services receive referrals from families, schools, other service providers, residential treatment programs and hospitals, juvenile corrections and state social services, and from youth themselves. For more information about group therapy, or to make a referral, please call 488-7711 or click on firstname.lastname@example.org.