Centerpoint’s group services and supports demonstrated to be an effective approach for counseling teens. Skillful use of peer influence and group dynamics allows change to occur more quickly and sets the stage for longer-lasting progress through the development of natural adult and peer-based supports. Specialty groups are developed based on emerging needs and trends, and are offered within Centerpoint clinics and a variety of school and community sites. Centerpoint’s clinic-based outpatient (OP) and intensive outpatient (IOP) groups include:
- CHANGES (Mondays, 3:30 – 5:00): Increasing motivation-for-change and teaching new skills of decision-making and problem-solving, utilizing the Seven Challenges® model, this highly popular group also offers opportunities for learning and rehearsing additional skills, such as identifying and self-regulating emotions, effective communication skills, stress reduction and practical coping skills.
- JUST BREATHE (Tuesdays, 5:00 – 6:00): Beginner Yoga and mindfulness skills group addressing symptoms of anxiety, depression, physical & emotional dysregulation, and normative adolescent struggles. This group is held at the Centerpoint Studio in Winooski. And… JUST BREATHE is also available for parents and other caregivers (Last Wednesdays of the Month, 6:00 – 7:30)…
- Parent and Family Support (Wednesdays, 5:30 – 7:30): Providing skills, strategies, and support for parents and families struggling with a young person’s substance use or mental health issues. Participants in each of Centerpoint’s Parent Support Groups include parents with teens in treatment, parents whose teens have completed treatment but appreciate the continued support, and parents whose teens may need help but are not yet taking advantage of counseling. For parents of younger teens, we offer the Parent Circle (Wednesdays, 5:00-6:00):
- Anger Management and Emotional Regulation (Tuesdays, 5:00 – 6:00): Helping teens to recognize the roots of their anger and destructive emotional outbursts, with a focus on prevention, self-regulation, healthy emotional expression, self-care, expanding the emotional vocabulary, and emotional safety planning.
- Creative Expressions (Thursdays, 3:30- 5:30): An Art Therapy group for young people who are learning to identfiy, understand, and express the thoughts and feelings that are impacting their social and emotional well-being.
- Wellness (Wednesdays, 4:00 – 5:30): These gender affirmative groups address underlying emotional issues while developing healthy skills and strategies for preventing distressing situations and coping with those life stressors that are unavoidable.
- SAMURAI (Wednesdays, 4:00 – 5:30): A health promotion group that supports participants to develop their unique identities, strengths, and interests as they cultivate safe coping, self-esteem, and social skills.
- Relapse Prevention & Recovery Support (Fridays, 3:00 – 5:30): Providing young people who are establishing abstinence with the skills to identify high-risk situations, strategies to avoid regression, and an introduction to natural community supports offered through 12 step groups.
- Roll, Play (Mondays, 4:00 – 5:30): Supporting teens to develop social connections, problem-solve through challenges, and apply their creativity through table-top gaming.
- Skill Set (Fridays, 3:30 – 5:00): Supporting young adults and older teens as they develop skills to cope with intense moods, thoughts, emotions, and behaviors.
Centerpoint’s group counseling and treatment services receive referrals from families, schools, other service providers, residential treatment programs and hospitals, juvenile corrections and state social services, and from youth themselves. For more information about group therapy, or to make a referral, please call 488-7711 or click on firstname.lastname@example.org.